DBE and the New LFT Frequently Asked Questions
DBE and the New LFT!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What kind of projects offer potential opportunities for certified DBEs?
Including the New LFT Terminal, the Lafayette Regional Airport is estimated to have as much as $150 million for construction and infrastructure projects over the next 3-to-5 years. The work will be administered under the following:
- Architecture & Engineering (A/E)
- Project & Construction Management (PMCM)
The prime contractors selected in each of these three areas will actively seek subcontractors to help them complete these projects.
- Who should I contact about getting work for my company?
The Lafayette Airport Commission is in the process of selecting A/E, PMCM. The two will be announced at Lafayette Airport Commission public meetings, and the selections will be reported in local media coverage. DBE-certified businesses, or those going through the certification process, are encouraged to contact those businesses, when they are announced, to promote your services.
- What is the DBE goal for Lafayette Regional Airport projects?
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has established a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) goal of 7.31% for federally funded work. The Lafayette Airport Commission has decided the 7.31% goal will also apply to all projects no matter the funding source.
- Why should I apply for DBE certification for my business?
DBE goals apply to projects using federal funds and some state and local projects as well. In order to assist a prime contractor in reaching their DBE goal, a subcontractor company must be DBE certified.
- How long does it take to receive DBE certification?
DBE certification is completed by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (LaDOTD). Businesses send all completed application forms and materials to LaDOTD and are normally notified if their business has been certified within 6-to-8 weeks.
- What is the cost and what help in getting certification is available now?
There is free assistance available to business owners right now through:
- The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Small Business Development Center – Heidi Melancon – 337-482-6312
- Southern University Small Business Development Center – Sonia Wilson – 225-774-9213
- Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development – Remy Graves – 225-379-1762
- Lafayette Consolidated Government DBE Officer – Shaun Williams – 337-291-8410
- Where can I find more information?
DBE forms and information are available on our website under the DBE tab. Additional information is available on the LaDOTD website, under the DBE Certification tab.