Arrive Early at LFT for Christmas Travel
While traveling during the Christmas season is an exciting part of the holidays, Lafayette Regional Airport continues to encourage travelers to arrive at least 90 minutes before their departure time. Winter holidays are a time when people often travel with families and extra baggage. Extra-cold weather and snowstorms across the country can create flight delays for airlines nationwide and patience is needed.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) predicted a record number of passengers to pass through its checkpoints across this country this holiday season. While these recommendations are useful for holiday travel during Christmas, they should be considered throughout the year to make your travel experience easier.
When you arrive for your flight, keep these tips in mind:
- Plan to arrive at LFT at least 90 minutes before your flight’s scheduled departure time, regardless of your destination.
- Check your flight status in advance on lftairport.com. It sounds simple, but it helps to always check your flight ahead of time and to take your airline’s phone number with you to the airport if there is a last-minute delay or cancellation so you can call the airline directly. Most airlines let you check in on their website or smartphone and avoid the check-in lines at airports. Many airlines allow you to check in 24 hours in advance on their websites to secure your seat.
- Make sure you are ready for the TSA Checkpoint. Passenger preparedness can have a significant impact on wait times at the security checkpoints. Travelers should prepare carry-on bags for coming through the checkpoint without any prohibited items inside. Follow the 3-1-1 regulations when carrying toiletries (up to 3.4 ounces in a 1-quart plastic bag, and only 1 bag per person). Put large liquids, gels, creams and aerosols into checked bags.
- Prepare by wearing easy-to-remove shoes and emptying pockets before heading through the checkpoint screening equipment.
- Be ready when you enter the checkpoint line: Have an acceptable ID and boarding pass out of your wallet and ready to hand to the TSA officer. Once you get to the screening tables, remove large electronics including laptops and the 3-1-1 compliant liquids bag, from carry-on baggage.
Consider minimizing items that you wear to the airport such as bulky jewelry, scarves, hair accessories, large belts or other items that are likely to require additional screening. Remove all items from your pockets and put them into one of your carry-on bags so you won’t lose them.
- Equally important, travelers are reminded to check the bins when collecting all belongings after going through screening and before leaving the checkpoint screening area. Often, travelers leave behind laptops, cameras, phones and loose change.
- Keep in mind that all flights are closed 20 minutes before takeoff. At that point, no passengers are permitted to board. Pilots must do weight and fuel calculations before takeoff. In most cases, you will miss your flight if not boarded 20 minutes before departure.
LFT Parking Options:
Lafayette Regional Airport provides a variety of daily, hourly and economy parking choices for your convenience.
There is no charge for vehicles exiting within 30 minutes of entry into the short-term or long-term lots. The Economy Parking lot is $5 a day, and located to the right after you pass the terminal canopy. There is no parking lot attendant, so you must pay with a credit or debit card.
Covered walkways are provided from long-term and short-term parking to the terminal. Parking rates vary and are posted at the entrance of each lot.